I'm only a week behind

Monday, July 28, 2008

On posting, that is. :) I have some photos of the weekend before last that I want to share.

My brother and his wife came to visit on Saturday. Jon needed to change the timing belt in his car, and we have a garage full of tools for that purpose (and many others), so he came over to borrow them for a while.

When they arrived, I was cutting quilt pieces at the dining room table. Since my birthday is on St. Patrick's Day, I've always had an affinity towards all things green and shamrockish. I've often bought a yard or so of fabric for the holiday, especially after the holiday when Wal-Mart has it for $1 a yard (or less). Over the years I've amassed a good little stash of it, but didn't really know what to do with it. Then one day I was reading Christine Middlecamp's blog post about making a simple quilt for her son. It was a complete duh! moment, and I grabbed the fabric and started cutting 8" squares of it.

So that's what I was in the middle of when J and Beth showed up. At that point I knew I should cook some lunch, and when I started to go to the kitchen, my brother offered to cut my quilt pieces for me. I'm sure my jaw hit the floor. It turns out that he cuts pretty much all of Beth's quilt pieces for her, too (she likes to cut fabric about as much as I do- which is not much at all). So he finished mine up while I made a pizza twist for lunch, and he did an awesome job. J, you rock!


After lunch, Beth offered to start laying the blocks out for me. It wasn't an easy job since I had 8-10 different patterns, but she did a great job. We discovered that the blocks were the same size as the quilted blocks of my current bed quilt, so she used it as a template.

And then she read some magazines and Griffin snuggled up with her on the couch. :-)

So now all the rows are neatly stacked in my sewing room, and I've actually started piecing them together. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done- I'm just enjoying the time to sew when I have it.


2 comments:

  1. This was so enjoyable to read, and I also enjoyed the beautiful photos. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit. The quilt will be terrific! I can't wait to see it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the quilt coming? I've got to put the binding on Jon's quilt tomorrow - the kitchen has been out of commission for a while for floors, so I haven't had a place to sew.

    I'm glad you liked the pattern I laid out - I don't do random very well. OCD kicks in.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan