Code Monkey Goes to Boston

Saturday, June 20, 2009

I had to go to Boston this past week for work. I hadn't traveled in about 6 months, but before that I was traveling pretty much every other week. I'd almost forgotten what the inside of the airport looked like.



I brought a friend along with me- Code Monkey.


Code Monkey was a gift from my friend and former coworker, Richard. I say former coworker because he left the company a little over a year ago. I've almost forgiven him for that.

Almost. :-P

Anyway, software development types are often referred to as "code monkeys," so Richard gave those of us on his team these little miniature sock monkeys. I decided for this trip I'd bring him (the monkey, not Richard, though I did bring Eric...you'll meet him later) along to some of the places I visited on my trip.




I didn't buy him his own ticket, so he traveled in the seat back pocket. Incidentally, why are we not allowed to put our laptops in the seat back pocket? I mean, I'm allowed to put my book there, and I've traveled with some books that weigh more than my laptop. It makes no sense.



Upon reaching Boston, I informed Eric that there was an IKEA 20 miles south of the city. Never mind that our hotel was 20 miles north. We didn't have to be at work until the next day, and he said he was game for it. Yay!

I'd never been to IKEA before. If you've never been, prepare yourself. It's huge. I mean MASSIVE. Imagine a store 3-4 times the size of Home Depot, two stories tall, and with it's own parking garage. I know, it sounds like a shopping mall, but it's just IKEA.

Insane. And very cool.



I was mostly interested in the kitchen displays since I've been thinking about using IKEA cabinets when I do the kitchen remodel.




Oh, and this is Eric. He was a good sport, letting me drag him all over Boston for two and a half days. He'd only been once and I'd been a lot, so I rented the car to drive us everywhere. He and his wife are redoing their kitchen next year, so he was actually kind of interested in going anyway.



I'm really digging these stainless steel doors.




There were maps all over the store. I told you it was a huge place!



After walking through IKEA (an hour and a half there barely scratched the surface) and driving back through Boston to the hotel, Code Money was tired and glad to get in bed!




After work the next day, Code Monkey got to go to one of my favorite grocery stores- Trader Joe's (why we can't have one of these in Huntsville, I don't know).




I always try to pick up some goodies when I'm near one of these.



Did I mention that I was still dragging poor Eric around with me? Poor Eric had to sit across the table from me at Legal Seafood when I was taking this picture of Code Monkey. Luckily for him, I returned to being (somewhat) normal right after I shot it...and then promptly demolished a pair of 1lb lobsters. Yum!



While waiting for a table at Legal Seafood (a 45 minute ordeal), I squeezed in a little shopping at JCrew- they were having a big sale!

And SQUEEEEE!!! For some reason I just love their shopping bags. I love anything in this Kraft color, really. It's also my new favorite shade of cardstock for scrapbooking (Dad says I should just scrapbook on paper shopping bags :-P).



All Code Monkey really saw on Thursday was the inside of a software lab (where no cameras are allowed). Oh, and the inside of Chipotle. :)

But on Friday it was back to the airport to head home...but with a trip to Starbucks first.




1 comment:

  1. Wonder if some 'vacation' at Ikea?
    would love to spend a day there myself.

    So glad to meet Code Monkey and Eric. You were in good company this trip.

    Enjoyed this mini-documentary
    very much, beautiful photos, as usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan