Geek Girl: What We Need Here Is A System

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I think I may have finally figured out why I keep procrastinating on the geek posts. I love them, but they always feel a bit random, and I need some way to pull it all together in my head (and hopefully for readers, as well). In that vein, I've come up with some categories to throw items into, and I'd like to introduce you to them tonight.


Hair Watch

You can't have good sci-fi without lots of mousse and hair gel (unless you're Patrick Stewart, of course).  This section will probably have mostly Doctor Who (David Tennant) and Stargate: Atlantis (Joe Flanigan) bits.

Today it's all Doctor Who, and pretty much all video. I'd like to thank Melissa Shanhun for reminding me that these awesome Doctor Who vids by Seduff are on YouTube. This one is my absolute favorite. This guy should totally produce for the BBC.


And here's a funny bit...in an otherwise terrifying episode (I wanted to watch it from behind the couch).


I LOVE that quote!!

The Doctor: Yeah, listen, listen, got to dash... things happening. Well... four things. Well... four things and a lizard.


OMG, They Made That?

My next category will be devoted to all the crafty sci-fi peeps out there who make some amazing stuff.

Epbot (one of my favorite blogs) linked to this awesome fan-made chocolate Han Solo in Carbonite. You should totally check out Epbot, BTW, for even more geek crafts.


I so want to learn to crochet so I can make these adorable Star Wars amigurumis. Patterns are available at lucyravenscar's Etsy shop.


Back to the carbonite theme, the official Star Wars blog featured an awesome Star Wars themed party, including a Han Solo in carbonite Jello mold!


Fans of duct tape will appreciate this AT-AT formed from the magical substance.


And, for our last craft, Matt (from PaperCrafts magazine!) posted this week about his awesome Mandalorian costume, along with some photos of its construction. Great job, Matt!



Grins, Giggles, and Grimaces

Some geek news is funny. Some new is groan-worthy. Every once in a while an item falls into both categories.

This one is definitely a groan...the cast of Firefly in Star Trek uniforms?!?!? Someone should lose their Photoshop license for this!


I really should file this under the category "Things Made By Fans With Way Too Much Time On Their Hands." Someone actually took the time to make a video of every lightsaber ignition and retraction in every Star Wars movie. Wow. Just Wow.


And, you knew it was inevitable- Star Wars meets Monty Python.




Book News

Only a couple of things to report on the Star Wars book front (I've been having to amuse myself with Doctor Who books on my iPad for months now).
  • Timothy Zahn's new book, due out in July of 2011, has a new title- Choices of One. This is a follow-up to Allegiance and should be a good read.
  • A couple of excerpts from Riptide, Paul S. Kemp's follow up to Crosscurrent (which featured an alien who lusted after Campbell's Cream of Jaden Korr Soup) have been posted.


The Randoms

The Randoms is a category for pretty much anything I couldn't fit anywhere else. I expect that it'll get pretty full at times. :)

Geeky Gadgets reported last week on a new sound system that looks strangely like no moon, but a space station...


Nerdvana has a great article on the top ten archaeologists in sci-fi. Daniel Jackson made the list, of course.


For a look back through history, check out this video of every Doctor Who intro ever (and there have been a lot!).


And, finally, I'll leave you with this video of the entire Star Wars trilogy...in a two minute paper stop-action video- click here to see.

Until next time, geek out!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan