back to the future with my mind's eye + and an elle's studio sketch

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

back-to-the-future-logo

Happy Tuesday, everyone, and welcome to another installment of Back to the Future- an ongoing blog feature where I take a hot new scrapbooking collection and combine it with supplies from the archives of gone-but-not-forgotten favorites.

This time around I'm still working with supplies from my last Two Peas order, purchased with the small amount of credit that I receive each month as a Garden Girl (I'm into full disclosure and all that. :) ). Those items included the chipboard and cut apart sheets from the four new mid-release collections by My Mind's Eye, and you can see them all pictured here. I've also put together a shopping list of exactly what was in that order, should you care to browse it over at Two Peas.

DSC_9534.jpg

Today's layout uses the Oxford Lane colorway from the Kate & Co collection and was totally inspired by this sketch at Elle's Studio. Hey, I'll take any chance I can to include lots of white space!

sketch 05.30

I'll get to the exact papers that I selected to go with the My Mind's Eye items in just a bit, but I thought I'd go ahead and share the layout now instead of making you scroll through lots of photos to see it. The photo is a random shot from Star Wars Celebration VI, and I was actually shocked to be able to find products to (sort of) match the crazy carpet in the Orange County Convention Center!

DSC_9899.jpg

I changed things up just a bit when choosing embellishments for this page and included some other new items, too. I recently purchased the May exclusive tag kit from Elle's Studio and absolutely love it, and since the greens were such a good match for Oxford Lane I ran with it. Plus, since the layout is for an Elle's challenge I thought it would only be polite to use some of their stuff. :)

DSC_9675.jpg

DSC_9676.jpg

DSC_9677.jpg

If you missed my last post, my goal with my last Two Peas order was to purchase only a few favorite embellishments from the new collections and then combine them with older papers and items from my stash to get the look of the new line without having to buy the entire thing. Just like last time, I pulled out my Cropper Hoppers of patterned paper (I keep them sorted by color) and chose a few sheets from each color family to match the look of the collection. I didn't go for a perfect match, just whatever caught my eye as I was flipping through the papers, and I selected all of the patterns shown below in under ten minutes.

I started with the blues- Studio Calico Elementary "Atmosphere," American Crafts Chap "Dave," My Mind's Eye Stella and Ruby (180 sheet rebranded paper pad from Michaels), Studio Calico State Fair "Pie Contest."

DSC_9634.jpg

Then I moved on to the aqua/teals. And if you're wondering what in space I was thinking choosing that print from October Afternoon's Rocket Age collection, I definitely had the Star Wars layout above in mind! Elle's Studio Exclusive Vellum Paper, Unknown, Lily Bee Happily Lost "Good Book," October Afternoon Rocket Age "Deep Space Probe."

DSC_9629.jpg

You don't see a lot of the Kelly Green color from Oxford Lane in scrapbooking supplies, so these papers sort of picked themselves out for me! Doodlebug Petite Prints "Limeade Daisy-Stripe," October Afternoon Modern Homemaker "Canning Jar," Studio Calico State Fair "Midway," DCWV Spring Fling Stack, Studio Calico Autumn Press "Scarf."

DSC_9631.jpg

I definitely stuck with sunny, warm yellows for this collection. Lily Bee Happily Lost "Sun Soaked," DCWV's Lemon Flower Stack, Studio Calico Abroad "Locals," Cosmo Cricket Upcycle "Re: Love."

DSC_9633.jpg

And the last batch of papers is from my "multicolored" paper files, where I found prints with mixes of green, yellow, and even some aqua. Studio Calico Countryside "Grove," DCWV Spring Fling Stack, Studio Calico State Fair "Choose Your Weight," DCWV's Lemon Flower Stack.

DSC_9628.jpg

Like last time, I stuck to pulling only papers and left the embellishments in their color drawers to be selected later. And, since I ended up using just the non-floral chipboards for this page, I'm definitely going to have to come back and do a more girly one at some point. I'll be keeping these papers filed together with the chipboard sheets for a while, and hopefully my new "kit" will inspire more layouts to use up these older papers soon!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan