Geek Girl: The Book That Bent My Brain

Sunday, April 3, 2011

There are those who say that my brain was already slightly warped before I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the book just finished the job off.

To them I say...you're probably right. :)

Whatever the order of events, this comic masterpiece by Douglas Adams is definitely my favorite book, and also the one that I tell people they need to read if they want to understand me. It's zany, off-the-wall, and completely irreverent (and there's more than a little sci-fi thrown in, as well). It also explains my obsession with towels and the number 42.

I've noticed lately that I own an inordinate number of copies of this book (though I know some Jane Austen fans who probably have more editions of Pride and Prejudice). The one I've read the most is the massive hard-bound one (containing all five novels in the Hitchhiker's trilogy) that I've had since high school. I think my parents bought it for me on a trip to Books a Million.

_DSC4128.jpg

I was thrilled to find this "classics" edition of H2G2 while wandering through Barnes and Noble (on a business trip, no less) one day a few years ago.

_DSC4129.jpg

It came complete with faux leather binding...

_DSC4132.jpg

...and gold edged pages!

_DSC4133.jpg

I also recently aquired an iPad version (on the Barnes and Noble Nook app)...

_DSC4127.jpg

...and my Dad still picks up copies whenever he spots them at yard sales or the used book store. I've got quite a little collection going there, too. :)

_DSC7623.jpg

And, before you ask, I haven't seen the movie or the BBC television show- I believe this is one of those books that just has to be read to really get it. Now, the recent Dirk Gently remake? That I can get behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan