counterfeit kit | july 2011

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Counterfeit Kit Challenge made a huge change this month in how they choose the inspiration kit. Since most kit clubs operate by choosing from the latest and greatest new releases and Counterfeit Kit has, up until now, only used current kits for challenges, a lot of the kits were starting to look alike. Bethany, Meridy, and the girls on the design team got together and decided that it might be fun to go back and try some older kits...thus this month's inspiration, Polkadot Whimsy's July 2010 kit, was selected.


I have to admit that the first thing that came to mind when I saw the original kit (above) was "color riot." Wow that's a lot of yellow, blue, green, and red!!! But then I looked at it again and latched on to the two or three travel-related pieces and ran with them, giving my own counterfeit (below) a really strong travel theme.

DSC_6362.jpg

See all that Studio Calico "Documentary," Basic Grey "Wander," and the beach-themed pieces from Fancy Pants, Webster's Pages, and October Afternoon? I love how well it works together!

I, of course, had to throw in some buttons (from a Making Memories travel-themed embellishment set I picked up on clearance long ago at Tuesday Morning), and those "Beach Bum" brads from Fancy Pants made their way in, too (along with a flocked transparency from the same line).

DSC_6369.jpg

Yummy die cuts, also from the same Making Memories Travel set (and if you squint at the background, you can see a few Making Memories Vintage Findings in the mix, too).

DSC_6370.jpg

Some travel-themed decorative tape and a couple of tiny spools of baker's twine, just for the fun of it.

DSC_6372.jpg

I love these die-cut stickers from The Girls' Paperie, and I actually included the whole sticker book that they came in (it has some great alphas and word stickers in it, as well).

DSC_6371.jpg

Speaking of alphas, you know that I couldn't make a kit without at least one or two sheets of tiny alpha stickers. The big sheet from Webster's Pages actually has eight different alphabets on it! And those little kraft ones from Jillibean Soup are some of my all-time favorites. I found them on clearance recently and bought an embarrassing number of sheets, so I should be set for a while.

I've got some photos from the Bahamas that will be just perfect with this kit! Tune in later this month to see what I make with it.
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan