Anatomy of a Weekend

Sunday, March 21, 2010

I wish I could start this post by saying this was an atypical weekend, but in reality it just isn't. We're always going somewhere, doing something, working on projects (having a house on the market, living in another house, and renting out a third will do that to you), and just generally busy.

Take two weekends ago, for example. My living room had looked like this for about a week because we were moving out of our storage unit (I detest having a storage unit and am so glad to be done with it!), and it was driving me crazy. See all those boxes? A lot of them were books, and I decided I needed a bookcase.

Oh, and do you like my little ghetto remote and home theater PC keyboard tray? Classy, I know.


I hopped on Craigslist and found a 2x4 IKEA Expedit about an hour and a half away, so I emailed Darren's parents and arranged to borrow their van for a morning. Darren's Mom tagged along with me.

We arrived back at the house after more than three hours of travel time and got the bookshelf unloaded.


But it didn't stop there. Darren was working at our house that we have on the market, so I went to go get groceries and lunch to have ready when he arrived home later in the afternoon. $5 pizzas from Little Caesars are almost a staple at our house.


But that wasn't quite it, either. You see, that particular Saturday was UAH's last home game of the season, and my friend Richard generously gave us his box seat tickets (right on the ice) since he was going out of town. So as soon as Darren got home, we left and spent a good three hours at a hockey game with a couple of my coworkers. And don't even ask about the crazy parking...it was nuts.

 

After the game (when I was all hoarse from screaming...we tied, BTW), I went to the gym and ran for about half an hour. And then I came home and did this.

 

Ahhhhh, little bits of organization starting to creep into the room. And isn't that turtle lamp cute? My Dad gave that to me. :)

While unpacking boxes I found these binders, including three brand new American Crafts albums. I hadn't realized that I had so many...ooops!! And I was out of shelf space on my 5x5 Expedit in the scrap room.


So I selected some more magazines (mostly special issues) to scan in so I could make room for the found albums. I'm finding that unless it's in PDF on my MacBook, I'm really not using it, so scanning them is for the best.


I also had a little mishap when I tried to extract an issue of Cards magazine from the middle of the stack on my Expedit. The whole stack came crashing down and bent my thumbnail backwards. I've resisted cutting those apart and scanning them in, but now I'm wondering if I need to do so for my own safety! That, and I've really enjoyed my digital subscription since I switched over. And I'm not really using the issues that are on the shelf...so yeah, it's probably time.

By Sunday evening (I took this pic Monday morning when I had good light), the room looked like this, and I could breathe again. There are still boxes left to unpack (even fewer now since I've been chipping away at them the last couple of weeks), but they're contained behind the weird bar/planter thingy (I really don't know what they were thinking when they put that thing in, but I'm so getting rid of it as soon as I have time to do the floors) and mostly out of sight.

 

And I was a very, very tired Melissa on Sunday night, but so happy to be making lots of progress!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend. Did those American Craft albums fit in your expedit? I'm considering getting some from Ikea but I keep forgetting to take my albums with me to see if they fit. Great blog btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee- they do indeed fit perfectly in the Expedit. I have more pics on my post here- http://scrappyjedi.blogspot.com/2010/01/scrap-room-tour-part-2-expedit.html.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan