sophie's first birthday

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yay for getting more caught up on posting my personal photos! This is something I try to do on weekends, just to motivate myself to a) actually edit them and b) get the stories down before I forget them.

Today's story? My adorbz nieceling Sophie's first birthday party! In this case I'm doing it a bit in reverse since I've already scrapped several layouts of this (here, here, here, and here), but, hey, it all gets done in the end, right?

When I arrived at my parents' house for the party on a Sunday morning in July, Miss Thang had just gotten up from her nap and was looking all cute in her party dress.

DSC_9536.jpg


 Then of course she had to have a visit with my Dad...

DSC_9537.jpg

DSC_9539.jpg

And with Beth's Dad, too.

DSC_9542.jpg

Mom was busy getting everything ready. For once I was not the main party planner! It was kinda nice just to sit back and shoot photos (especially since I'd just come back from CHA, where I took more than 1800!).

DSC_9545.jpg

DSC_9547.jpg

A bunch of my cousins and their kids (whom I haven't seen in a looooong time) were there. Naomi is my cousin Felicia's little girl, and I literally hadn't seen her since she was just a month or two old!

DSC_9562.jpg

Jordan and Naomi- Jordan is Chris's (another cousin, Felicia's brother) daughter.

DSC_9564.jpg

DSC_9571.jpg

Beth tried putting a birthday tiara on Sophie...

DSC_9577.jpg

...but little bugs was having none of it and tossed it on the floor!

DSC_9578.jpg

DSC_9579.jpg

In the end, though, it did make a rather nice toy to chew on...

DSC_9583.jpg

Jake with his parents. These people are hard to catch photos of since they tend to hide from the camera!

DSC_9589.jpg

Shelli (Chris's wife) with Naomi.

DSC_9596.jpg

Beth's sister Jennifer with her son, Isaiah.

DSC_9605.jpg

Sophie had just started making fish faces right before her birthday.

DSC_9634.jpg

She wasn't quite sure what to do with the cake...

DSC_9640.jpg

...so she very slowly picked at it...

DSC_9642.jpg

...one...

DSC_9643.jpg

...crumb... (her expression here kills me!)

DSC_9646.jpg

...at...

DSC_9647.jpg

...a...

DSC_9648.jpg

...time.

DSC_9651.jpg

Mike thought he'd be funny and give Sophie "real" milk for her birthday.

DSC_9688.jpg

The birthday cake the rest of us ate.

DSC_9705.jpg

And I shot this just because I felt like it. I think it's so cool that Sophie is playing with some our old toys!

DSC_9718.jpg

Chris and Shelli with one of their boys, either Haydn or Christian (they're identical twins).

DSC_9721.jpg

Everyone settled in to watch Sophie open her gifts, one of which was a brand new wagon! She wasn't quite sure what to think of it at first...

DSC_9732.jpg

...but then she seemed to dig it.

DSC_9738.jpg

My aunt Linda and uncle Mike, who just retired from the Army reserves.

DSC_9749.jpg

Sweet cousins!

DSC_9770.jpg

Felicia and Naomi.

DSC_9774.jpg

And then it was time to rip into the presents for realz. Sophie was quite into tearing the paper.

DSC_9782.jpg

DSC_9787.jpg

Then J took over helping her open packages (which led to hilarity later on).

DSC_9801.jpg

That's Lissa in the background, with Ryan- they've been friends with Beth and J since college.

DSC_9808.jpg

DSC_9812.jpg

DSC_9819.jpg

Isaiah was enthralled with Sophie's new talking Cookie Monster toy.

DSC_9822.jpg

He did this over and over to make it talk!

DSC_9824.jpg

And this next pair of photos? It's exactly what it looks like. My brother is truly Father of the Year, eh? (Note Ryan taking photos from behind. :) )

DSC_9830.jpg

DSC_9834.jpg

DSC_9838.jpg

Hmmmm, so is the tape or the paper more interesting?

DSC_9842.jpg

DSC_9847.jpg

DSC_9851.jpg

Apparently neither, since Sophie actually got up and walked out halfway through unwrapping! Dad had to bring her back in. :)

DSC_9865.jpg

What she did with this big box of stuff from my parents was hilarious!

DSC_9872.jpg

Dig in...

DSC_9875.jpg

...and pick something up and throw is behind. Apparently she does this with clean laundry, too.

DSC_9877.jpg

DSC_9879.jpg

My brother was rushing to keep up with her!

DSC_9881.jpg

Fish face!

DSC_9891.jpg

DSC_9902.jpg

DSC_9905.jpg

Before we all left, I took some portraits of Ryan, Lissa, Jon, Beth, and Sophie- such a fun group!

DSC_9919.jpg

DSC_9921.jpg

DSC_9922.jpg

DSC_9924.jpg

DSC_9927.jpg
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan