fourth of july

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Woohooo for catching up on personal photos! I had actually intended to post about the Independence 5K (on July 2nd) and the weekend hanging out with my parents before I got to the actual Independence Day photos from home, but I realized that I forgot to get my Dad's photos of the 5K!! So I'll wait until I have them before posting that. Instead, I'll regale you with the tale of what we did on the Fourth of July...and warn you up front that we didn't do much of anything "normal" for the day.

Unless "normal" includes a trip to the Botanical Gardens first thing in the morning, where we did our usual "oooh"-ing and "ahhh"-ing over the Bonsai trees.

DSC_6678.jpg

DSC_6680.jpg

The crepe myrtles are in full bloom here- so beautiful!!!

DSC_6681.jpg

On this particular trip we spent more time than usual inside the butterfly pavilion, which is also home to bunches and bunches of turtles.

DSC_6682.jpg

I love turtles. :)

DSC_6687.jpg

DSC_6690.jpg

DSC_6694.jpg

DSC_6697.jpg

We spent most of the rest of the day at home working on projects in and around the house, but I did go out to Bridge Street for a little while just to see everything that was going on there. Darren opted to hang back since he doesn't like crowds, and it's a good thing he did- just look at all those people!!! It was cool that they had the gondolas out, though.

DSC_6700.jpg

And the carousel was running, as well.

DSC_6705.jpg

Back home I decided to break out the new pasta attachment for my KitchenAid mixer (you know, the one I got for my birthday in March and hadn't used yet) and give it a try. I love it!! Homemade pasta seems to have a lot more body to it than the store-bought stuff- so yummy!

DSC_6837.jpg

DSC_6839.jpg

And then it was time for my favorite part of Independence Day- the fireworks!! This year Huntsville had a double show with the Space and Rocket Center and Bridge Street coordinating their displays. Just look at the rocket with the bursts behind it!

DSC_6864.jpg

I think this one may be my favorite of the night.

DSC_6868.jpg

I had to move the camera (mounted on the tripod) fast when Bridge Street's show started up.

DSC_6878.jpg

And unfortunately the parking lot and street lights were right in my field of view and created weird silhouettes.

DSC_6881.jpg

DSC_6892.jpg

DSC_6898.jpg

Back to the rocket!

DSC_6905.jpg

DSC_6911.jpg

DSC_6912.jpg

DSC_6913.jpg

DSC_6929.jpg

DSC_6930.jpg

And then someone got the bright idea to turn off the lights on the rocket for the end of the show. I really think it looked better with them on!

DSC_6993.jpg

DSC_6995.jpg

All in all it was a quiet, calm, restful sort of day- the type we've not had many of this year!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan