studio calico boardwalk counterfeit

Thursday, August 25, 2011

It's no secret that I love kits. I adore kits. They make my scrapping life so much easier by instantly narrowing down the choices from everything in my insanely huge stash to a neat pile of pre-coordinated items ready and waiting for my next project or crop.

Sometimes the kit that I make each month as part of my design team duties at Counterfeit Kit isn't enough to satiate my addiction, especially when something as lovely as the August 2011 kit from Studio Calico comes along. As soon as I saw those lovely aquas, I knew it would be perfect for scrapping some of my favorite Aruba photos. So, I did what I always seem to be doing with kits these days- I copied it!!


The photo above is Studio Calico's main kit, Boardwalk, and below is my interpretation. I already had several of the papers, and I was able to find substitutions for the others in my paper stash. Most of the embellishments are also different, but overall I think it captures the feel of the original.

DSC_0468.jpg

I didn't stop with the main kit, though!! Nope, I plowed right ahead and copied all four add-ons, too!


The Sea Glass add-on (original pictured above with my interpretation below) had a lot more neutrals in it, which will be really nice to have to offset the very saturated tones of the main kit. You can also see from the two stickers sheets in the kit that I'm not above including partially used items from my stash!

DSC_0470.jpg


The Boogie Board add-on is filled with lots of primary colors to provide some bright pops of red and green. I don't have a lot of primary colored items in my stash, but I still managed to find several items that worked well here. I even had the exact shade of baker's twine as the original!

DSC_0475.jpg


The Tide Pool add-on was the most challenging for me, but in the end perhaps my favorite of the supporting kits. I just love that stamp paper from (the sadly no more) Girls' Paperie. And those woodgrain alphas from Sassafras are one of my all time faves!

DSC_0476.jpg


Sandcastle is the final add-on for this kit, and surprisingly I had one of these papers and close matches for the rest! I did a lot of subbing out for the embellishments, but that's one of the things I love about making my own kits- if I have something in my stash that means I liked it enough to buy it, meaning that theoretically I should love everything in my kit!!

DSC_0483.jpg

You'll be seeing this kit used in many upcoming layouts- I've already got several planned out and ready to scrap!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan