Project 365 Q+A

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Over the past couple of days I've received several questions and comments concerning my Project 365 post. Thank you all so much for your kind comments!

Since the original kit sold out in a matter of hours the day it was released, there are a lot of scrappers looking for a way to do this project on their own. I'll do my best to explain how I made mine and answer your questions here. My design is more or less based on the original kit.

Journaling blocks:

Melissa: Are those the small journaling blocks in the last picture? Those are cute and I never would have thought to put them together that way. I also bought the kit, but may do my own next year, too.

Anonymous: Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the journaling blocks?surfmomma4: wow that looks great..did you make the journaling cards? If so did yu just draw lines on patterned paper..they look so cool.

Sara: I'd like to know the dimensions on your journaling blocks too if you don't mind sharing.

The last picture in that post, and actually the photo before that, are indeed of the journaling blocks. I did make them myself, and will attempt to explain how. I cut several sheets of plain colored paper into 4"x3" rectangles, then adhered two of the rectangles on an index card to make a 4"x6" block. Since the openings in the page protectors are 4x6, I did this to keep the two 4x3 pieces from sliding around and possibly covering each other in the larger pocket. I could have sewn the page protectors to separate each of the bottom 4x6 compartments into 4x3 sections, but I think just using my ATG gun to quickly adhere the blocks was a lot faster (and required less measuring and precision).

The index card I used to back them was 3x5. I put adhesive all the way around the edges (I used cheap ATG tape from Tape Depot for this since it won't be touching any photos) of the index card (not the paper blocks themselves) and then lined the two 4x3 blocks up next to each other on the index card. Since the index card is smaller than the two paper blocks combined, I didn't have to worry about lining up the paper blocks with the edges of the index card, just against each other.


After the two 4x3 blocks were adhered, I trimmed up the edges if needed to make them even and then rounded the corners for a finished look. This last step is, of course, totally optional.

52 of the journaling blocks have a 4x3 piece of patterned paper next to them instead of another plain piece of colored paper. That's because there are four 4x6 slots along the bottom for journaling, which leaves eight 4x3 spaces to fill. Only 7 are needed for the journaling spots, so I filled the eigth spot with a piece of patterned paper.

Page Protectors:
The Duttons: I have been looking for the sheet protectors to make my own also-what is the brand? We don't live anywhere near a Hobby Lobby or anything for that matter, so I wanted to find some online-Any information would be great!

The page protectors are by Pebbles, Inc. I did get mine at Hobby Lobby (they put them on sale for 50% off every 3-4 weeks, so if you have one in your area, wait a bit and they will go on sale again). The only quirk with these protectors is that the pockets are side-loading. I actually like this as it keeps things from falling out of the top of the album, and things seem a little less prone to sliding around as well. Hobby Lobby also carries another brand called UltraPro that is top loading, if you prefer that style.

I did a quick search on Google and found the Pebbles, Inc. protectors here. Please note that I don't necessarily endorse this shop (I don't think I've ever ordered from them before), that's just where I happened to locate the products in a Google search.

Other Supplies:

Rhiannon: I love your kit!!! What is the brand of the paper you are using?

Thank you!!

I'm using the Magnolia line from My Mind's Eye. It's actually the cheap "stack" version of it that Hobby Lobby and Costco carried a year or two ago. It came with 3 sheets of every paper, including patterned and plain coordinating solids. I had somehow ended up with two of them and decided that I'd use a bunch of it up on this project.

If there are any other questions, feel free to leave a comment below and I'll answer/help as much as I can.

1 comment:

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan