Rearranging the Scrap Room

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm doing it again- I'm turning half my scrap room on its ear. You see, I have this wild idea to put another 5x5 Expedit into the space so I can house my massive Star Wars book collection (and, let's face it, my ever-expanding scrapbook supply collection) all in one room. I'm also tired of having to lean back from my desk to look out the window, so I'm going to make some changes to fix that little problem, as well.

Let's start with what my scrap room looks like now. Or at least what it looked like a couple of weeks ago...please excuse any messes that you see in the photos.



Isn't the 14-24mm lens awesome? Not only does it let me get the whole room in, but it makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is. :)

I've already made a bit of a dent in this project by completely organizing under the bed a couple of weekends ago- a project that involved two trips to Target and a stack of Sterilite bins. Now, let's look at the plan of attack for the rest of the room.


  1. My desk is going to move under the window, just a few inches away from the wall. This will let me look straight out into the back yard (my chair will face the window) whenever my little heart desires.
  2. My spinning rack organizer thing is history (it's going into the yard sale). I unloaded all the paints and inks from it into one of the aforementioned Sterilite tubs that now lives under the bed. My adhesive collection moved into the cabinet that the copy stand is sitting on, and I now have a stack of clear stamps that I need to organize into my stamp notebook. That's a project for another time.
  3. When my desk moves, so will the collection of paper lanterns and pom-poms. They'll be relocated to hang over the desk in its new position. The cork board and framed Star Wars book covers will move to hang over the guest bed.
  4. As much as it was wonderful to sleep in after I had knee surgery, the recliner needs to go back to my parents' house. I actually took it to them last weekend when I visited to throw Beth's baby shower (thank you, 4Runner). I now no longer have to move a chair aside when I go to pull out camera lenses. My room feels huge with the amount of floor space this reclaimed.
  5. The closet door is coming down. Yup, you read that right! That's the wall I'm planning on using for the new shelf, and a 5x5 Expedit will actually cover the closet door by 3-4 inches, preventing it from opening. I could have just gone with a 4x4, but eventually that entire closet (and its doorway) will be going away in order to add more space to the bathroom that's on the other side of the wall. Hopefully we'll get to that remodel in the next year, so I'm planning ahead now knowing that a year from now I'll be glad I bought a 5x5. For now I'm going to hang a curtain over the door opening using a tension rod- totally Darren's idea, which he came up with after I had resigned myself to just completely blocking the closet off. It was a real "duh, I should have thought of that moment." I'm already eyeing this Amy Butler shower curtain from Bed, Bath, and Beyond as a possibility. As a bonus, it'll look wonderful in the bathroom when I've finished with it in the scrap room.


So, that's the plan for now. Last night I moved everything off of, out of, and away from my desk and moved it. It's about 3 feet off the wall right now, because tonight's project is pom-pom relocation. I'll try to get some in-progress pics soon.
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan