Second Degree Black Belt Test

Saturday, December 4, 2010

_DSC8004.jpg

It's been nearly a month since I tested for my second degree black belt, so I guess it's time I posted some photos, isn't it? It's taken me this long because Darren took soooo many good ones, and it took a while to go through all of them!

Our judges were my instructor (of course), Master Jeffrey Davis, Joe Ng (who, incidentally, was one of Darren's biology professors in college), and Darren Abbott (no, not that Darren, the other Darren), who was a blue belt with me long, long ago.

_DSC7659.jpg

Lots of stretching to warm up. My knee made this incredible cracking noise going from one position to another at one point...Michael (the guy who's shoulder my leg is propped up on), was really shocked that it was so loud. Oh, well, that's what happens when you have two surgeries.

_DSC7640.jpg

Lots of blocks and strikes- we moved through the basic stuff really quickly.

_DSC7649.jpg

I make all kinds of funky faces when I'm in TKD.

_DSC7661.jpg

_DSC7666.jpg

And then on to kicks, which we did for most of the test. Taekwondo uses a lot of flashy kicks. :)

_DSC7683.jpg

Oh, yeah, over the head, baby!

_DSC7692.jpg

Roundhouse...my favorite!

_DSC7702.jpg

And sidekicks, which are my worst kick as far as form goes. I can never get my foot at the right angle.

_DSC7714.jpg

Well, okay, so this one show the right angle, but unfortunately it's on the way back in and not at the apex of the kick.

_DSC7716.jpg

I really am a roundhouse girl at heart, though.

_DSC7721.jpg

Especially jump roundhouses! This photo is post-landing, but you can see Rachel getting some hang time next to me.

_DSC7731.jpg

Back sidekick. I can knock people quite a long way with this one. :)

_DSC7740.jpg

I'm not even sure what kick this was (I think it was another jump roundhouse), but I think the photo is cool. :)

_DSC7774.jpg

Over the head again- pretty sure this one is a crescent kick.

_DSC7846.jpg

And then on to forms. I was most nervous about this part. Having been out for several years, I'd forgotten almost all of them and had to re-learn 10 of them, plus one new one in just six weeks. This move (called a mountain block, but I nicknamed it Donkey Kong) is from the new form, Keumgang.

_DSC7855.jpg

Another move from Keumgang- this one was kind of nice since it was slow and controlled and gave me time to try to remember what I was supposed to do next. :)

_DSC7856.jpg

Board breaking is one of my favorite parts. Rachel got all of hers after a bit of a rough start.

_DSC7867.jpg

Michael did some impressive jump spin kicks for all three of his.

_DSC7869.jpg

I love this shot...my foot coming straight through the board, and that priceless expression on Rachel's face.

_DSC7874.jpg

And, yeah, that one broke, too. :)

_DSC7876.jpg

Sean decided to show off and break all three of his...at the same time!

_DSC7878.jpg

And then it was time to get the sparring gear on.

_DSC7880.jpg

We were all relieved, because getting to this point meant that the hard part was over.

_DSC7882.jpg

I hadn't sparred in years (Jeff hadn't been letting me since I'd been back to class because of my knee), so I got knocked around a bit.

_DSC7884.jpg

Ummm, kind of like that.

_DSC7912.jpg

Dude, Michael can jump!

_DSC7938.jpg

And that just looks painful...

_DSC7941.jpg

Come to think of it, so does that...

_DSC7943.jpg

But we all survived, and we all made it.

_DSC7995.jpg

Off with the old belts, on with the new.

_DSC7999.jpg

_DSC8002.jpg

And, yes, I did have to count to make sure there were two. :)

_DSC8004.jpg

_DSC8010.jpg

We were all incredibly nervous going into this test, but Jeff is the kind of instructor who won't even let you test for something if he's not absolutely sure you're ready. We all worked very hard and had prepared as much as we possibly could. I only blew it on one form- Taegeuk 6- which is exactly the form I'd told him I'd mess up the night before. For some reason it just never stuck with me.

I'm so glad that's over!! 5 days a week of classes were starting to wear a serious hole in my schedule, but it feels good to have the accomplishment behind me. It feels even better knowing it will be several years before I can even consider testing for third degree. :)
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan