Mrs. Field's Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

Thursday, December 3, 2009

This year I'm finally able to participate in Scrappy Jessi's Cookie Exchange! I have been terribly busy (and, um, not at home) the last two years that she's hosted it, and I'm really excited about it this year!


My recipe is not my own-it's actually a Mrs. Field's recipe I found in Woman's Day magazine when I was in middle school. It's also available here on All Recipes. These Cinnamon Sugar Cookies are probably my favorite cookies to bake, and this year when I said I was baking for Christmas again I had both Mom and Darren asking me if I was going to make them.

The recipe is really simple:

Ingredients

Topping:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Dough:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. Combine the 3 tablespoons white sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Blend dark brown sugar and white sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed. Add butter and blend until grainy. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until light and fluffy.
4. Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl. Add to sugar mixture, mixing at low speed just long enough to combine. Overmixing makes tough cookies!
5. Roll dough into 1inch balls, then roll each ball into cinnamon-sugar to coat. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from sheets and let cool on racks.


This recipe made about 4 dozen cookies for me. Since there are several recipes I want to make this Christmas, I only baked a few of these and then placed the rest of the dough balls (without the cinnamon/sugar topping) on a pan in the freezer for a couple of hours until they were solid. I then transferred them to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for storage. I can now just pull out a few, roll them in the cinnamon topping, and cook them as needed.

Enjoy the recipe, and have a Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. super delish girl!!!
    thanks for playing along.
    have fun
    oxox,
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything Mrs. Fields. She always had the best cookie recipes.

    Thank you for sharing and photos of this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey chickadee! hmmmm we must of been having the same brain wave cuz I did the exact same cookie recipe! I think its the best cinnamon cookie Ive ever had! hugs

    toodles-
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound like Snickerdoodles....I will add to my list.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Keep it Sweet,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet these are great cookies. You can't go wrong with Mrs.Fields!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum yum yum yum yum! I love these cookies!!

    Such a sweet post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy ! I made some of these yesterday ~ Mmmm !!
    Merry Christmas !!
    Nessy

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan