Washington DC: Part 1

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sometimes I'm really good at getting photos posted right after a trip, and sometimes I'm horrible about it!

Take, for instance, the little weekend trip that we took to Washington D.C...more than a month ago!! Seriously, it's taken me forever to blog this, though I've really been wanting to.

We got up super early to catch our flight (thank you, AirTran, for such great deals on flights). When I say super early, I mean we watched the sun come up through the airport windows.

_DSC6704.jpg

After a nonstop flight to Baltimore (gotta love that!), Darren's brother Hung picked us up and chauffeured us to D.C. for the afternoon. We walked and walked and walked (which normally I don't mind, but I was wearing my running shoes which aren't all that great for walking). 

_DSC7100-1.jpg

_DSC7101-1.jpg

I seriously could stare at the architecture in D.C. for days.

_DSC6707.jpg

_DSC6710.jpg

The Library of Congress ties for my most favorite thing there (the Smithsonian Natural History Museum is the other).

_DSC6712.jpg

I mean, how can you not love all the granite, marble, and mosaic work? It's breathtaking!! And all built by hand, without power tools.

_DSC6715.jpg

_DSC7111-1.jpg

_DSC6726.jpg

_DSC6727.jpg

_DSC6731.jpg

Even the AED/fire extinguisher door is all decorative. :)

_DSC6734.jpg

After the Library of Congress, we took a tour through the Capitol Building (where, thanks to an unfortunate incident at security, I lost my water bauble (sniff, sniff)).

_DSC6740.jpg

Oh, and that's Hung and his little boy, Matt (Huong and Natalie were at home).

_DSC7121-1.jpg

More gorgeous architecture. Yum!!

_DSC6752.jpg

_DSC6769.jpg

For lunch we ate hot dogs by the pond.

_DSC7125-1.jpg

And then I took off with Matt to the Smithsonian (yay!!) while Darren went to the Holocaust Museum.

_DSC6780.jpg

Matt asked if this elephant was bigger than I am. I told him that I certainly hope so!!!

_DSC6786.jpg

And then he and I stood and stared at this aquarium for a good, long while. It's nice to have a nephew as fascinated by fish as I am. :)

_DSC6806.jpg

After the Smithsonian it was back to Hung and Huong's house, where miss Natalie was waiting for us. Last time I visited DC she was just 7 days old!!

_DSC6826.jpg

We had pho for dinner (so, so good!), and the Huong and I baked cupcakes (and she made frosting for the first time ever). Let's just say that was one crazy, late-night trip to the grocery store. :)

_DSC6821.jpg

They day ended with us exhausted, but happy (and with me reading Matt a book before he went to bed). I'll try to get the other two days' worth of photos posted by the weekend.
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan