Favorite Photos from Scanned Negatives

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Last month I embarked on a little project to scan a roll of my old film each day. I didn't quite manage to scan 31 rolls (going out of town for two weekends will do that to a schedule), but I did get a fair number digitized and thought I'd share some of my favorites here.

This one is circa 1997, I think. After my initial knee injury, but before I graduated from high school (thank goodness for timestamps embedded in digital photos these days). And, yes, I used to figure skate. :)

NEG00287.jpg

My first dorm room in college (1998), complete with awesome sci-fi posters and a (now) ancient CRT monitor for my old PC.

NEG00229.jpg

Photo from a hiking trip in the spring of 1999.

NEG00255.jpg

My friends from high school (they were a year younger than me) and I waiting to see Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

NEG00372.jpg

Dad and I ready to go to work in the morning. I spent that summer working with him at his office downtown.

NEG00360.jpg

A shot of the bookshelf in my Sophomore year dorm room. Note the stacks of Babylon 5 VHS tapes (oh, how technology changes!) and Star Wars books (okay, so some things never change).

NEG00349.jpg

Another shot of my sophomore year dorm room. I had some fellow geeks as roommates, and we hung Jar-Jar from the light fixture outside our bathroom.

NEG00350.jpg

Darren at his niece's 7th birthday party. It was held at one of those places where the kids can dress up and play, except they all thought it was more fun to dress Darren up. :)

NEG00390.jpg

My first trip to the beach in the fall of 1999.

NEG00428.jpg

My little cousins (who are not so little any more) playing with a kitten that was found abandoned in the garden center of the K-Mart store I worked in over the summer of 2000. I ended up adopting her.

NEG00273.jpg

Making homemade gift wrap for Father's Day gifts using stamps and stickers. Judging by the textbooks on the shelf in the background this was the summer after my Sophomore year- or maybe my Junior year- so 2000 or 2001. I'll have to pull my college transcript to match up the classes with the texts to find out for sure (oh, the detective work!!).

NEG00271.jpg

All of these negatives were scanned with no image correction except for ICE (to remove dust and scratches) and then edited with Totally Rad Lightroom Presets. Some (like my skating photo) were so dark that it was very difficult to make them usable, but I managed to work with them. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the presets worked pretty well on TIFF files.

I've enjoyed my little trip down memory lane. Mom has borrowed my negative scanner for the next month or so, but I look forward to scanning more negatives in over my Christmas break from work.
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan