Friday Favorites - August 30, 2013

Friday, August 30, 2013

Today's Friday Favorites is a bit of an extended edition with a couple of late-breaking additions that I really wanted to include this week!

I'll start off with something brand new from Totally Rad. They're already the creative geniuses behind my favorite Lightroom Presets, and now they've come out with a totally new film-based set for both Lightroom and Photoshop that is simply incredible!


Replichrome merges the look of film with the ease of digital, and I am totally in love with the results so far. I've only played with it off and on for a few minutes since it was released earlier this week, but I'm so impressed by how Totally Rad took images shot on actual professional film stocks and translated them into editing presets. I'll be writing up a full review after I've had a few weeks to play with it, but I wanted to share one image with you now. This is a straight out of the camera shot from the Grand Canyon earlier this summer...

DSC_2271-2

And this is the same shot with just a few clicks in Replichrome...

DSC_2271

I applied the Kodak Portra 800 (Noritsu) preset, then used Saturation +, Grain Reset (grain is one thing I don't miss about film!), Darken Skies +, and Sharpen 1 from the Replichrome basic toolkit. It was never going to be the best shot in the world since it was taken in directly sunlight at mid-day, but I'm thrilled with the contrast and especially the color that Replichrome was able to pull out of it! There's nothing like film for great, natural looking color (even the new Star Wars movie looks like it will be shot on film, thanks to J.J. Abrams' influence), and if you want to read more about the process that Totally Rad went through when creating Replichrome, you can read more here.

And, yeah, I see lots of photo editing in my future for the holiday weekend. :)

Speaking of this weekend, that's the other thing I'm a little excited about. I've been on a cleaning and organizing kick lately, and earlier this week I was reminded that the annual Holiday Cleaning Grand Plan will be kicking off on September 1! It's a great way to combine a full cleanout and reorganization of the house with preparing for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. I don't usually go all out and make the planning notebook and print all the checklists since Google Docs works well enough for me, but you can find tons of helpful resources and full cleaning and organizing lists for each week here.

And now that I've gone through all that, I have the regular roundup of picks to share with you this week, too!

ff aug 30

From the top left:

  • I love tours of real, imperfect, but still well-loved and organized scrap rooms. Corrie Jones recently gave her readers a look at her own scrap room, and it's a great example of working with what you have. Corrie totally rocked it!
  • I've included Laura Vegas's school album ideas for her girls on the blog before, and she recently wrote a pair of posts for Scrapbook and Cards Today covering them in a bit more depth. You can find the first post here and the second here.
  • I love this sweet little tag-based mini album by Kim Jeffress. All of her little accents are just perfect! 
  • I admit that I didn't pay much attention to Bella Blvd's feather embellishments when they were first released, but I'm loving all of the projects featuring them in this post!
  • Lisa Storms shows how to get three different looks out of one simple punch on the Fiskars blog.
  • Basic Grey's mini Capture albums are adorable, and I love this Christmas journal put together by Alexes Brown with one from the 25th and Pine collection.
  • Laura O'Donnell offers some tips on adding stamping to your scrapbooking workflow at Write. Click. Scrapbook.
  • I'm loving the look of purple mixed with hints of neon in this roundup post at 100 Layer Cake.
  • Silhouette posted a fun idea for a washi exchange party along with a free cut file for making your own bobbins.
Have a scrappy weekend!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan