chattanooga december 2011

Saturday, January 28, 2012

I'm still in catch-up mode in a few areas where last December is concerned. One of those areas is getting my photos blogged, but I think that I'll be done with that after this post!

So, about two weeks before the craziness that was Christmas started, Darren and I spent a couple of days (okay, more like 36 hours over the course of two days) in Chattanooga. Neither of us had ever been to the Christmas light displays at Rock City, and it had been forever and a day since we'd been to the aquarium. After asking Darren if he preferred a hotel or bed and breakfast, I got our trip booked in late November.

In case you're wondering, he picked a bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Vanilla Sky room at the Garden Walk Inn in Lookout Mountain, Georgia. It was a cute place- nicely furnished and everything, but for the price I think I'd stay at a hotel next time.

DSC_4995.jpg

The bathroom. If you've been reading my blog long enough to have seen any of my other travel photos, you may have noticed that I like to take photos of pretty bathrooms at the places I stay. I'm just weird like that, yo.

DSC_4996.jpg

We had already eaten dinner at Logan's on the way to Lookout Mountain, so after unpacking and settling in we headed to Rock City. There was a bit of a wait for tickets because there were sooooo many other people there, so I headed over to Starbucks to get hot chocolate and peanut butter cup cupcakes while Darren waited in line. It was pretty cold outside, so the hot chocolate served double-duty as a sweet treat and a handwarmer!

Finally, though, we got in, and it was really pretty!

DSC_5001.jpg

Unlike the light displays at the Botanical Gardens here in Huntsville (which I think is still my favorite of the two), Rock City is set up so that you get the experience of walking through the gardens (at night, no less!), with lots of pretty lights highlighting the existing landscape.

DSC_5004.jpg

Of course, there are some beautiful big displays thrown in, too. :)

DSC_5008.jpg

DSC_5009.jpg

::sigh:: I love snowflake lights.

DSC_5010.jpg

Nope, my white balance wasn't off in this shot- the lighting in this rocky pass really was all blue!

Perhaps at this point I should mention that I was hiking through all of this, in the dark...in the air cast I was wearing while my torn achilles healed! I walked bunches in it over the course of this weekend.

DSC_5012.jpg

There was something very Lord of the Rings-ish about this gnome fishing from a high cliff with the little tree in the middle of the water below.

DSC_5022.jpg

DSC_5026.jpg

It's not Christmas without gnomes and mushrooms, right? Or is that just me?

DSC_5027.jpg

This was my favorite part of the tour. It reminded me a lot of the massive curtains of lights at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens' Galaxy of Lights (and, incidentally, it's my favorite part of the tour there, too).

DSC_5030.jpg

I had so much fun with unfocused light photos this Christmas!

DSC_5032.jpg

DSC_5036.jpg

The view of Chattanooga at night from the top of Lookout Mountain was stunning. Don't let the serene-ness of the photo fool you- it was windy and cold up there!

DSC_5037.jpg

DSC_5039.jpg

DSC_5040.jpg

DSC_5047.jpg

The candyland display was so fun. And bright! The photos don't show it, but it was so bright that it almost hurt your eyes to look at it!

DSC_5055.jpg

I took this photo just because Darren didn't think I could (the lighting was really challenging). To that I say, "phhhhbbbbbtttt!!"

DSC_5064.jpg

DSC_5066.jpg

DSC_5067.jpg

There was a narrated nativity scene, too- I was so happy to see that!

DSC_5069.jpg

DSC_5070.jpg

DSC_5071.jpg

DSC_5072.jpg

DSC_5076.jpg

DSC_5078.jpg

I love toy soldiers and nutcrackers!

DSC_5079.jpg

DSC_5080.jpg

One whole section was nothing but a fun winding path through "toyland."

DSC_5083.jpg

DSC_5084.jpg

And these guys marked the way into the cavern whose grottos are filled with illustrations from nursery rhymes and fairy tales. We both found that to be quite creepy and/or boring, so we didn't spend much time inside. Also? It was really humid and made my camera lens fog up. Grrr!!

DSC_5087.jpg

The next morning we ate at the bed and breakfast before heading back down to Chattanooga- peach french toast and sausage.

IMG_1242.jpg

The Tennessee Aquarium. As soon as I stepped into this place, I wondered why I'd stayed away for so long! We'd seriously let life get too darn busy because we used to go there all the time (in fact, I wrote about that on a scrapbook page for May Flaum's Camp Scrap class about a year and a half ago- and to this day I have no idea why that came out, because it certainly wasn't what I intended to write!).

We're so happy to have renewed our memberships now, and since we've moved back to Huntsville and are closer to work and school, we actually have the time to go now!

Now, on with the fish!

DSC_5097.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that Darren is a big kid? :)

DSC_5098.jpg

Clownfish are my absolute favorites and have been since long before Finding Nemo ever came out.

DSC_5107.jpg

Coronet fish. I think...Darren will have to correct me if I'm wrong.

DSC_5119.jpg

You have no idea how many shots of this tiny baby seahorse I stood there and took with my macro lens to get one that looked right!

DSC_5132.jpg

DSC_5142.jpg

The leafy sea dragons are Darren's favorites.

DSC_5153.jpg

DSC_5170.jpg

DSC_5180.jpg

I was so happy that the otters were actually out playing while we were there and not sleeping in their dens! They moved so fast it was hard to get a good photo of either of them, but it was so much fun to watch them play.

DSC_5199.jpg

DSC_5211.jpg

Trout!

DSC_5222.jpg

I was a bit shocked to see this sign! I mean, River Giants sounds cool and all, but I remember standing in front of this tank on many occasions and watching in fascination as the sharks and stingrays went swimming by. I guess they didn't need a saltwater tank in this part of the aquarium any more since they built the saltwater wing, but it's still a little sad to see it go. :(

DSC_5223.jpg

DSC_5228.jpg

The Rivers of the World exhibit.

DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5241.jpg

DSC_5250.jpg

DSC_5252.jpg

DSC_5266.jpg

Turtles! I love turtles. :)

DSC_5271.jpg

And Darren loves sturgeons. So cool that they have a "petting tank" here!

DSC_5277.jpg

More turtles!

DSC_5281.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg

Darren is also quite fascinated with paddlefish.

DSC_5290.jpg

And also with snapping turtles.

DSC_5299.jpg

The Tennessee Aquarium is divided into two buildings (freshwater and saltwater), so we took a lunch break at Cheeburger Cheeburger between the two.

DSC_5304.jpg

And then it was on to the second building, where I got to pet the stingrays! I'd forgotten about this pool and may or may not have squeeed a bit when I saw it.

DSC_5311.jpg

Their butterfly exhibit is small, but pretty.

DSC_5325.jpg

DSC_5327.jpg

And the penguins are just cool!

DSC_5339.jpg

DSC_5349.jpg

DSC_5362.jpg

DSC_5365.jpg

The freshwater building is really cool, and I love it, but there's nothing like the saltwater wing. I mean, where else can you be right across the glass from something as amazing as this massive sea turtle?

DSC_5376.jpg

Their other sea turtle is actually a rescue- he was injured in a boating accident and lost his tail and back flippers, but now he gets to safely live out the rest of his life at the aquarium.

DSC_5387.jpg

I love reef aquariums!

DSC_5416.jpg

More clownfish!

DSC_5422.jpg

DSC_5427.jpg

Cuttlefish. Which Darren tells me are very intelligent.

DSC_5434.jpg

Jellyfish. They used to have a whole exhibit of nothing but jellyfish here, and I'm so glad that they kept parts of it.

DSC_5442.jpg

DSC_5446.jpg

The divers in the aquarium kind of sealed what my birthday present is going to be this year- I'm getting scuba lessons/certification!!

DSC_5453.jpg

DSC_5455.jpg

And one last look before we left for home.

DSC_5456.jpg

I'm so very glad that we finally made it back to the aquarium, and I'm already thinking that our next trip needs to be soon- maybe in the next two or three weeks!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan