one graduation, one mother's day, and three birthdays...in one weekend

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Parts of May were craziness. Fun craziness, but craziness nonetheless.

The weekend that my cousin graduated from high school, had a birthday/graduation party was one of those weekends, because, not wanting to do anything halfway, we also celebrated my Mom's birthday and Mother's Day along with just a little bit of Beth's birthday thrown in, juuuuuust in case we weren't busy enough.

Did I mention that all of this happened in Nashville? Which meant exactly one thing for us- road trip!

We started off with the intention of getting a very early start on the road on Saturday morning. I admired the hydrangea for a bit, cut a bouquet for Mom, and then we headed off in search of our destination.

IMG_1844.jpg

There was just one tiny problem- as we were pulling out of the neighborhood, we noticed that the front passenger side tire felt kinda funny. As in flat funny. Turns out that a massive screw had somehow found its way through the rubber and gouged a huge hole.

IMG_1847.jpg

Luckily I'm married to MacGyver, and he came complete with a tire plug kit. Less than 30 minutes later he had the tired patched, aired back up, and we were on the road.

IMG_1849.jpg

Speaking of on the road, this is how I often roll when we travel and Darren drives- laptop out, getting a little work (or play) done along the way.

IMG_1848.jpg

I've recently gone on a no-grains kick (though I do admit to devouring some naan at the Indian restaurant the other night) so we stopped at Trader Joe's just south of Nashville (again, one of those awesome stores that we don't have in Huntsville) to pick up almond flour to make Mom's cupcakes. Because, as it turns out, she's wanting to try the whole no grain thing, too.

Darren has only been to Trader Joe's once, several years ago with me, and didn't quite remember what the sign looked like. I told him to imagine that Jimmy Buffet owned a grocery store...

IMG_1851.jpg

A short while later we were on the road again and eventually met up with the family at The Chop House in Hendersonville, where I adorned the table with the hydrangea bouquet I'd made earlier in the day.

DSC_5283.jpg

And over a shrimp cocktail appetizer, everyone chatted and Mom opened her Mother's Day gifts.

DSC_5288.jpg

DSC_5276.jpg

Sophie may have helped to open a package or two. :)

DSC_5290.jpg

DSC_5294.jpg

DSC_5295.jpg

DSC_5301.jpg

DSC_5305.jpg

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5311.jpg

Our food was excellent- Darren's seared ahi tuna was definitely the prettiest dish.

DSC_5315.jpg

And my chicken covered in cheese and prosciutto was great, too, but for me it was all about the mushrooms- they were delicious!

DSC_5316.jpg

DSC_5317.jpg

DSC_5318.jpg

DSC_5326.jpg

And since the lunch was a combination of Mom's birthday and Mother's Day (though we held her birthday gifts back until Sunday just to keep it all separate), she got a slice of birthday cake, too!

DSC_5328.jpg

DSC_5331.jpg

I included these photos just because my niece is so freakin' adorable I can't stand it!

DSC_5332.jpg

DSC_5337.jpg

Back at my parents' house, Darren and I tried in vain to take a nap. Seems Sophie was more interested in playing naptime than actually taking one. :) I cannot tell you, though, how insanely tired I was at this point! I'd been up until a little after 1am the night before finishing cupcake toppers and wrapping gifts, and then got up a little after 5am to leave, so I was definitely running on fumes!

DSC_5340.jpg

DSC_5344.jpg

But the nap would have to wait, because we had Jake's high school graduation to attend that evening!

DSC_5381.jpg

Again, cute Sophie photos just because I can. :)

DSC_5363.jpg

DSC_5376.jpg

I told my aunt that I would take photos for her at the ceremony, so I tried to get as much of it in as possible, from the band's playing of Pomp and Circumstance...

DSC_5384.jpg

...to the graduates filing in...

DSC_5389.jpg

DSC_5390.jpg

...and standing up...

DSC_5396.jpg

...and sitting down.

DSC_5404.jpg

It was at this point that the band stopped playing music, and Sophie proceeded to cheer and clap like she does at the end of almost every song. Did I mention that she'd been dancing in her seat the whole time? It was really funny because we'd just been given the whole "be dignified and quiet or we'll throw you out" speech from the school administration. Jake, upon learning later that is was a member of his family who'd been responsible for the outburst, was extremely pleased. Apparently the graduated could her Sophie all the way up on the stage!

DSC_5407.jpg

DSC_5409.jpg

Throughout the commencement, it was hilarious to watch Jake's expression. You could tell he was really thrilled to be there!

DSC_5411.jpg

I'm sure that all the speeches didn't help that feeling...seriously, his expression is just priceless in all of these!

DSC_5412.jpg

DSC_5414.jpg

DSC_5417.jpg

DSC_5421.jpg

DSC_5422.jpg

But eventually it was time for them to all line up and receive their diplomas.

DSC_5438.jpg

DSC_5444.jpg

I completely missed him actually receiving it, somehow, but did get this shot from right after.

DSC_5447.jpg

DSC_5450.jpg

DSC_5461.jpg

DSC_5467.jpg

OMG, he's killing me, here!

DSC_5470.jpg

And then it was time for the tassel ceremony.

DSC_5471.jpg

Jake had a little "technical difficulty" with his and got it stuck on the corner of his cap for a bit. Just look at the guy next to him giving him "the look."

DSC_5473.jpg

All worked out, now.

DSC_5475.jpg

I had no idea they were going to throw their hats in the air- we weren't allowed to at my high school graduation for "safety reasons." So just imagine hats in the air here instead of on the ground. :)

DSC_5476.jpg

The whole thing ended with a very cool photo slideshow- such a great idea!

DSC_5480.jpg

And then I finally got some sleep!!

The next morning we were back at it again, though. There were almond flour cupcakes to make (Mom used the recipe here and added about a quarter cup extra of cocoa powder- they were awesome!)

DSC_5484.jpg

After breakfast, Darren and I headed over to my cousin's house since I'd promised his mom that I'd set out all the serving trays and put up the decorations while they were all away at church. She'd already bought everything (except for a few of my serving trays that I brought along to help out), made a list of food, and left me a pad of post-it notes so I could label trays with what food went where so they could set it all up right before the party. She made it really easy on me!

DSC_5485.jpg

DSC_5490.jpg

DSC_5492.jpg

DSC_5494.jpg

And then we shuttled right back to my parents' house (only a few miles from my aunt and uncle) to have some birthday time for Mom and Beth.

DSC_5509.jpg

Mom requested these cupcake toppers specifically, and I had fun setting up a tablescape around them.

DSC_5502.jpg

DSC_5510.jpg

DSC_5503.jpg

DSC_5507.jpg

DSC_5518.jpg

Opening presents!

DSC_5523.jpg

Beth has been wanting to do some really simple scrapbooking of Sophie, so we gave her a Project Life kit as a birthday gift- no adhesive and no designing required!

DSC_5535.jpg

And then we allllllll went back over to Mike and Tina's for Jake's birthday/graduation party.

DSC_5537.jpg

Tina and her mom and sister had done a fantastic job of arranging all the food!

DSC_5541.jpg

DSC_5542.jpg

And Jake, of course, was thrilled...ha!

DSC_5551.jpg

DSC_5556.jpg

DSC_5561.jpg

DSC_5562.jpg

DSC_5564.jpg

DSC_5565.jpg

Mike introduced Sophie to homemade ice cream.

DSC_5570.jpg

DSC_5575.jpg

DSC_5579.jpg

DSC_5586.jpg

DSC_5593.jpg

And then Jake opened his gifts.

DSC_5589.jpg

DSC_5594.jpg

DSC_5595.jpg

And then Darren and I got loaded up in the 4Runner and started on the drive back home. I just had to stop, though, in Rivergate on the way to pick up some of the new Basic Grey Serendipity and Shine On collections that are exclusive to JoAnn stores. We do have a JoAnn in Huntsville, but apparently only certain stores received this collection, and mine was not one of them- grrr!

But I was very happy to find that it was all 50% off when I got there!

IMG_1852.jpg

We also stopped for dinner on the way home- Chipotle in Brentwood! So excited for our Huntsville store to open in the next few months.

IMG_1853.jpg

On the way home we spotted hot air balloons near the interstate...

DSC_5596.jpg

...and like a crazy person I rolled down my window and started snapping photos while Darren was driving at 70 mph.

DSC_5607.jpg

And thus ended the crazy fun weekend!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan