basic grey card and layout kits at ross stores

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's been a looooong time since I went shopping in search of closeout scrapbooking supplies, but when I read a thread on Two Peas in a Bucket that said that Ross stores were carrying Basic Grey card and layout kits for $3.99 each, you can bet I got my booty to the store to search them out!

I went to two different stores on two different days and found 17 different kits in all- total score!! And, since these regularly retail for anywhere from $14.99 to $17.99 it was quite the steal, too! I had no problem picking up every kit I found since I knew they were good quality and I would like them. I've reviewed Basic Grey's kits on the blog before- a look at the Origins page kit is here, and you can see the Nook and Pantry card kit here and the Sugar Rush kit here.

I found 5 card kits in all, including Olivia and Curio...

DSC_4883.jpg

...Out of Print (I was shocked to see something so new in the closeout bin!) and Hello Luscious...

DSC_4884.jpg

...and Oxford. I am sooooo glad to have some masculine cards to add to the mix!

DSC_4885.jpg

I also found 12 different layout kits including Life of the Party and Green and Heart...

DSC_4886.jpg

...Pyrus and Jovial...

DSC_4887.jpg

...Out of Print and Sweet Threads...

DSC_4889.jpg

...Hopscotch and Hello Luscious...

DSC_4890.jpg

...Max and Whiskers and Oxford...

DSC_4891.jpg

...and Capella and Oliver.

DSC_4892.jpg

I was one very excited chickie when I got home with these!!

You may be wondering exactly why I was so excited to find these kits when they're nowhere close to the style of page that I design now (see my Style Reboot series for more on that), and I'm happy to assure you that I didn't just buy these to stockpile them- I actually plan to use them all!

There are lots of reasons I like these kits:
  • The cards. I am not the world's best card designer- not by a long shot! So having a pre-designed card kit actually de-stresses me a bit. Okay it de-stresses me a lot!
  • The 4x6 layouts. Even though I mostly print 4x3 and 2x3 photos these days, I still have a pretty good stockpile of 4x6 photos that I've printed over the years that are just waiting to be scrapbooked. The layout kits will be a quick, easy, and fun way to get those photos into albums.
  • The value. I mentioned before that these were only $3.99 each, meaning that each scrapbook page (if you count the 2-page spreads and two separate pages) are a mere dollar each. Each card kit makes 8 cards, bringing them to 50 cents apiece for gorgeously designed, beautifully embellished cards. You just can't beat that.
  • The design. Just because I don't design my own layouts to look like these doesn't mean that I don't like them. On the contrary, I tried for years to emulate this style with no success before figuring out that I just can't wrap my brain around it well enough to design it on my own. The layout kits take that headache away and just leave the fun part behind.
  • Sometimes you just want to make something. Like I said in the last point, the kits have taken the guesswork out of the design. Because sometimes I just want to sit down and stick stuff together, darn it!
So, now that I have all these lovely kits, I'm thinking through a small dilemma- do I post these layouts here on the blog or not? I'm leaning toward posting them, because it'll be my photos in them after all, but I haven't totally decided yet. Are you guys interested in seeing what these layouts and cards look like when completed? Perhaps one post per kit as I finish them up? Weigh in and let me know what you think!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan