tennessee state fair

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Once again this year I had great fun attending the Tennessee State Fair! This time it was even more awesome because not only were my parents there, but Darren, Jon, Beth, Sophie, and my cousin Michelle all came along, too! It was a true family affair. :)

As soon as we got there (we being me, Dad, and Darren since the others were going to catch up with us later), I made a beeline for the arts and crafts building to see how my scrapbooking entries had...well....faired. :)

Imagine my delight (and, umm, I might have done a happy dance in the exhibit hall) when I spotted this adorably geeky cross stitch on the way to the scrapbooking display!

DSC_1503.jpg

I'd been joking that I was going to see how many more third place ribbons I could come home with this year, so imagine my surprise when I found I'd won two first place awards! My 5K mini album (blogged here) won one, and one of my layouts (I have a photo of it in a little while) won another.

DSC_1506.jpg

I don't know why, but I always enjoy seeing all the livestock at the fair. I swear I could be a total farm girl...as long as the farm had wifi and was relatively close to a Target...

DSC_1512.jpg



DSC_1530.jpg

It looked like it was naptime for most of the animals!

DSC_1531.jpg

DSC_1544.jpg

DSC_1556.jpg

DSC_1577.jpg

This duck and chicken pair in adjoining cages was hilarious! They kept squawking back and forth at each other.

DSC_1624.jpg

There's Dad, shooting photos!

DSC_1568.jpg

Bunn-ehs. Lots of bunn-ehs.

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1669.jpg

Darren got into a staring contest with this one. I think the rabbit won...

DSC_1647.jpg

I love fair food! I totally bought a huge bag of cotton candy (or insulation, as Darren calls it)...

DSC_1682.jpg

...and also a snow cone since I had a pretty rotten sore throat that weekend.

DSC_1684.jpg

Miss Sophie and her entourage (Jon, Beth, Mom, and Michelle) met up with us at this point, and we cruised back through all the animal exhibits so she could get a peek.

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1686.jpg

Here she is deciding where to go next...

DSC_1692.jpg

And checking out the fowl (you can see this photo on a layout here).

DSC_1704.jpg

I got some great family-type photos while we were out- these are soooo getting scrapped together!

DSC_1724.jpg

DSC_1726.jpg

DSC_1734.jpg

I just love seeing all the great photos, quilts, and other crafts on display. So much time and talent went into everything!

DSC_1739.jpg

Here's Miss Sophie checking out my other first place layout. I just love this photo because, well, the page was about her. :)

DSC_1743.jpg

J and D in line for funnel cakes.

DSC_1755.jpg

DSC_1763.jpg

And Mom and Dad got some roasted corn.

DSC_1771.jpg

Sophie got hold of part of the corn husk, and we couldn't get it away from her...

DSC_1789.jpg

...until she tried corn on the cob, that is! This was her first time having it on the cob (she's had just the kernels before).

DSC_1800.jpg

DSC_1805.jpg

Shortly after that Sophie, Beth, and J had to leave to put the little one to bed, leaving the rest of us to check out the agriculture exhibits. Just look at these massive watermelons and pumpkins!

DSC_1821.jpg

DSC_1826.jpg

DSC_1828.jpg

D checking out a hydroponics display.

DSC_1837.jpg

One of the gardening exhibits.

DSC_1846.jpg

And I think they painted this car just for me! Love!

DSC_1849.jpg

Then it was time to hit the midway- Dad and I just love photographing it after dark when all the colors in the lights really pop.

DSC_1861.jpg

DSC_1863.jpg

DSC_1866.jpg

Did I mention I love fair food? Yes? Have I mentioned it at least 12 times yet? No? I'd better get a move on, then!

DSC_1872.jpg

Mom and Michelle wanted to try a couple of the rides (I'm much, much too chicken for these things), and chose the Yo-Yo swing ride as their first adventure.

DSC_1875.jpg

DSC_1885.jpg

DSC_1959.jpg

More lights.

DSC_1971.jpg

Hi, Dad!

DSC_1979.jpg

You just can't take a bad photo of this girl...

DSC_1982.jpg

Yummy fair food!

DSC_2001.jpg

The ferris wheel was amazing this year! I mean, it was pretty last year, but this time it was all done up with LEDs that changed colors and patterns.

DSC_2010.jpg

DSC_2026.jpg

DSC_2027.jpg

DSC_2028.jpg

DSC_2029.jpg

DSC_2030.jpg

DSC_2047.jpg

There was this really cool spaceship thing next to it that I had time to photograph while Mom and Michelle waited in the ferris wheel line.

DSC_2119.jpg

DSC_2072.jpg

This is probably the only "ride" you could have talked me into going on.

DSC_2116.jpg

DSC_2129.jpg

More fair food!

DSC_2146.jpg

DSC_2148.jpg

And, for the very last activity of the evening, we all watched Dad play skee ball, which I'm pretty sure he hadn't done in years.

DSC_2128.jpg

DSC_2149.jpg

So that was our family adventure to the fair this year. I'm really looking forward to doing it all again in 2012! Dad's already sent me the dates for it. :)
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan