cherry blossoms

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cherry blossom season has come and gone for the year, and, as usual, I was an obsessed photographer for those fleeting two weeks that they were here.

It always starts with the weeping cherries in my front yard. I still remember how...concerned...Darren was when I brought home two semi-large-ish (they're the dwarf variety, so not that big) trees to add to our not-so-large-ish yard. One now lives in the front, and the other in the back where I can see it straight out of my scrap room window.

DSC_2190.jpg

DSC_2366.jpg

DSC_2367.jpg

DSC_2715.jpg

They're still young and doing more leafing than blooming, but they're getting taller every year and are so pretty!

DSC_2703.jpg

Then there's this gorgeous beauty on the university campus (right outside the building I used to take math in when I was a student there) that has such bright pink buds and tiny, tight flower clusters. I'm not sure what variety of cherry this is, but I know it is one because it actually fruits.

DSC_2256.jpg

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2258.jpg

DSC_2290.jpg

I often divert my usual running course in the spring just so I can run past this tree. In the summer I divert my course to run past a massive bunch of honeysuckle beside the engineering building- the scent is heavenly!

DSC_2352.jpg

DSC_2358.jpg

And then there are the yoshinos (the same type as in Washington, D.C.). There's really nothing else like them, and we have them all over Huntsville- on the university campus, at our church, and all over the research park I work in. There are even tons of them around the apartment buildings behind one of our Target stores! Yes, I can and have functioned as a cherry blossom tour guide in our city. :)

DSC_2342.jpg

DSC_2227.jpg

DSC_2194.jpg

DSC_2207.jpg

I get up pretty early in the morning and then dash out again at sunset to photograph these guys in the "good" light. This year Darren went with me on a lot of my excursions, too. I think my crazy is rubbing off on him.

DSC_2218.jpg

DSC_2370.jpg

DSC_2380.jpg

DSC_2395.jpg

DSC_2419.jpg

DSC_2430.jpg

DSC_2435.jpg

DSC_2452.jpg

DSC_2481.jpg

DSC_2585.jpg

DSC_3074.jpg

DSC_3099.jpg

DSC_3095.jpg

DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3365.jpg

And now I wait for another year for them to come around again!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan