lawn fawn + operation write home

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The main Lawn Fawn blog is participating in a hop today to support the amazing efforts of Operation Write Home. If you're not familiar with the organization, they collect and send handmade greeting cards to troops overseas, giving them a little something to use to send a note back home. To date they've shipped more than 1 million greeting cards to the brave men and women in our armed forces!

When I sat down to make my card, I flipped through my Lawn Fawn stamps and came across the Bake Me a Cake set- one that I've been wanting to use for a little while. Love those cute cake layers! I'll have to eventually get around to using the cupcake stamps in the set, too, but for this card I stamped each layer of the larger cake on a scrap from the Bright Side 6x6 pad (and I'm talking tiny scraps- this is why I don't throw those little bits away!) and then hand-cut and arranged them on the card's front. I don't know what it is about the Bright Side paper, but I Can. Not. Stop. making rainbows with it! The candles and cake plate are stamped straight onto the background paper.

DSC_3884.jpg

The them of the hop is "Make 'em Laugh," but for some reason I found it difficult to be humorous on a generic card. Seems I'm okay with "funny" on a personal level, but funny in general is hard for me. Luckily I found this site of humorous birthday quotes, took one, and ran with it!

DSC_3885.jpg

I tried. I tried to stamp that sentiment using one of the adorable Lawn Fawn font stamp sets, but after smudging ink on the card halfway through one attempt and then accidentally subsituting the "d" for an "a" part of the way through the second, I gave up! I thought the printer would be easier, but then it started throwing weird error codes (we have a laser printer that's a good deal more complex than the standard ink jet model) and Darren had to completely reset it to get it working again. Seems that fate did not want me to finish this card! :)

Be sure to visit the Lawn Fawn blog to see the other designers fabulous cards, and also hop along to see the efforts of all the other companies involved in the hop. So honored to be a part of this!


Supplies (click on images for product links):

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan