lawn fawn | harry potter-esque father's day card

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

In the spirit of keeping the projects coming this week, I'm pulling up one of my older cards that I made and never posted. I say older because it's before I had my square card epiphany, but in reality I made it last month for my Dad for Father's Day (it was also on the Lawn Fawn blog that week, but I decided not to post it here until after I'd given it to him).

This is one of those cards that was definitely tailored to the recipient. My Dad really enjoys the Harry Potter movies, and when Lawn Fawn released the new Dad's Day stamp set and I saw that big recliner image...well, one stray synapse dislodged itself and flew straight into another and resulted in one of those cards that you either get or you don't.

My goal is for everyone reading this to get it (can't have you thinking I'm entirely insane, after all!), so watching this video starting at time point 1:26 might help just a bit...




Okay, now that you have some context, you can see the card...

DSC_6202.jpg

Get it? Haha!! I stamped the recliner on a piece of striped paper (from the Miss Caroline collection by My Mind's Eye) using Versamark and then heat embossed with clear powder to give it just a touch of definition, then hand-cut the whole thing. That paper looks surprisingly like Slughorn's upholstery, doesn't it?

DSC_6205.jpg

As for the card style, this was my "Susan Weinroth" phase where I tried making cards like she does using those big, beautiful strips of paper. I learned that technique isn't nearly as easy as it looks- she makes some truly gorgeous cards! I, however, have a long way to go.

DSC_6206.jpg

DSC_6204.jpg

And the funniest part of the whole thing? Dad hasn't seen Harry Potter 6 yet...which is shocking since I bought it for him for Christmas!!! :-P So he didn't get it, either- ha!!


Supplies (click on images for product links):



CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan