father's day 2012

Sunday, July 22, 2012

We had this whole big set of plans for Father's Day weekend. I was supposed to drive up to my parents' house on Friday night, and then Saturday morning Mom, Beth, Michelle, and a couple of aunts and I were going to drive to IKEA in Atlanta for the day. Sunday morning and afternoon would be spent on Father's Day festivities like grilling out and spending time with the family, and then I'd go back home on Sunday night.

But then everyone got sick at once (well, except for Beth and I), the IKEA trip got cancelled and Father's Day was cut back a bit. I still drove up on Sunday morning, though, picking up steak and seafood to grill along the way, so I could spend Father's Day with Dad.

And my brother and Beth were there, too, which meant...

DSC_6233.jpg

...Sophie!!! And we all know that when Sophie's around, she's definitely the star of the show (which means to expect lots and lots of photos of the li'l punk throughout this post).

DSC_6237.jpg

I just recently learned to grill...I kind of had to if I wanted to eat grilled shrimp while Darren was out of the country in Kenya...so Jon and I tag-teamed it and cooked everything while letting Dad rest (and take photos, of course!).

DSC_6239.jpg

DSC_6243.jpg

DSC_6246.jpg

And I snatched the camera every once in a while to take photos of the munchkin playing her little Sophie games.

DSC_6242.jpg

Sophie is big on "driving" these days and insisted that she be allowed to sit in Dad's car (and be buckled up!) so she could "go work."

DSC_6250.jpg

Yeah, there's definitely a scrapbook page in here somewhere. :)

DSC_6252.jpg

It started raining just as we finished cooking- thank goodness the grill was under the carport!

DSC_6254.jpg

And then everyone nommed out on the awesome food. It's so much easier to cook for meals like this, especially with Sophie around. It's just so much calmer having a big meal at home!

DSC_6262.jpg

DSC_6263.jpg

I'd also arrived early enough to bake up cupcakes and brownies before we grilled, and the brownies were just cool enough to be scarfed down by the time we finished eating dinner. I set the whole pan down in the middle of the table, which just happened to be right in front of where Sophie was sitting. Her little eyes lit up when she spotted all those brownies, and she exclaimed a very excited, "oh, thank you!"

DSC_6265.jpg

And, no we didn't let her have the whole pan. She got one tiny piece of cupcake and one tiny piece of brownie, and at it while wearing her little artists' smock from IKEA. And, yes, there's a scrapbook page somewhere in all of that, too!

DSC_6268.jpg

And of course there were lots of Father's Day gifts, both for Dad and for my brother.

DSC_6271.jpg

Mom had fun wrapping this one up pretty, and then of course I had to get pictures of it all.

DSC_6274.jpg

DSC_6276.jpg

My Dad does the best Cookie Monster, Grover, and Yoda voices this side of Sesame Street. And Dagobah...

DSC_6277.jpg

DSC_6288.jpg

Sophie had to help open gifts, of course!

DSC_6300.jpg

DSC_6305.jpg

J's Father's Day card from Mom and Dad was sooooo cool- it was a talking Star Wars card that ended with Threepio saying, "we're doomed!" Sophie played it over and over and over.

DSC_6311.jpg

DSC_6315.jpg

And over.

DSC_6320.jpg

And then little bit got bundled up in her pajamas for the drive home (they were hoping she'd fall asleep in the car and they could just put her right in bed), but first she had to stop and pick "rasperdies" (her word for raspberries) with Poppy.

DSC_6340.jpg

DSC_6344.jpg

DSC_6349.jpg

DSC_6351.jpg

And then we all packed up and drove back to our respective homes. I'm kind of sad that all the weekend festivities got cut short, but we still had a lot of fun. Turns out J and I make a pretty good grilling team!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan