home of the brave

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DSC_0938.jpg

It's my turn to host the Designer's Choice Challenge over on the Lily Bee blog today, and I wanted to do something that would serve as a remembrance of the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001 but also not exclude international Lily Bee customers who may not observe Patriot Day as we do. I came up with a patriotic color challenge- in the US that means to use the colors red, white, and blue, and citizens of other nationalities can use whatever colors are special to them. You can find all the details on entering the challenge over at Lily Bee

DSC_9525.jpg

I didn't make using a patriotic theme a requirement for the challenge, though Amy Heller and I both ended up going that direction with out projects. I chose to scrap a pair of photos of the American flag waving above the start line at the Cotton Row 5K on Memorial Day this year. Cotton Row always begins with a prayer, the pledge of allegiance, the national anthem, and a remembrance of those who've given their lives in service to our country, and it seemed to me to be something wholly appropriate to scrapbook about for this day when we mourn those who were lost at the World Trade Center, in the Pentagon, and on Flight 93.

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0939.jpg

One of the things I most vividly remember about the days and weeks after the 9/11 attacks was how the American flag was suddenly everywhere. Yes, it's something we see on a daily basis, but they really multiplied during that time.

And to all of those who have fought in the war on terrorism since that awful day, thank you simply isn't adequate to convey my gratitude. You are truly all heroes.


Supplies:




CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan