layout | may all your christmases be white {pretty little studio}

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

DSC_3824.jpg

It's Out Of The Box challenge time again over at Pretty Little Studio, and this time I was asked to work with the word challenge featuring this lovely piece of winter typography.

 
At first I wasn't quite sure what direction I wanted to go with this, but as soon as I spotted one of Marcy Penner's beautiful cut files (which just so happens to be both winter and typography related) at Two Peas in a Bucket, it hit me- I needed to use a full page cut of this file on my project!

If you're thinking that a full page cut (in this case it's 11" x 11") doesn't leave much room for photos, you're right, and the first page of this modified 2-page layout is actually completely devoid of pictures.

DSC_9640.jpg

Instead of creating a double-page spread with the pages side by side, I instead stacked the two pages (in their own page protectors) on top of each other so that the layout underneath (with the photo) can be seen peeking through the page with the cut file on top.

DSC_9646.jpg

I also filled the cut file's protector with some mica snowflakes (I bought a box a couple of years ago at an Anthropologie Christmas sale, and they've gone a long way! I've also used them on projects here and here), a bit of confetti punched from Pretty Little Studio's Winter Wonderland papers, and just a few wood veneer snowflakes for a bit of dimension and contrast. I stitched the protector closed across the top when I was done filling to keep everything from leaking out, but it's still totally free to move around inside.

DSC_3823.jpg

To make sure that the overlay page stays linked to the actual photo layout in my album, I also ran a line of stitching down the spine of the two page protectors to join them together. Now they move as one unit on the album's binder rings but can still be viewed separately by "opening" the page, as well.

DSC_3826.jpg


DSC_3825.jpg

I purposely made the page underneath the overlay quite simple since I wanted that gorgeous large photo to be very visible through the cut file. I did add a few bits of embellishment, though, in the form of a few die cuts, chipboard pieces, and wood veneers.

DSC_3827.jpg

DSC_3828.jpg

I had my large (12" x 8") photo printed at Sam's Club, where a 12" x 16" enlargement is a mere $2.96 (and with one hour processing to boot!). I actually had another photo of the same size printed on the sheet while I was at it, and I'm definitely going to be trying this type of layout again with it soon!


Supplies (click on images for product links):



CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan