layout | mad scientist featuring the dcwv edumacation stack

Thursday, August 16, 2012

I've been having lots of scrappy fun with all the new stacks that Die Cuts With a View sent over to me, and today I'm playing with the Edumacation Stack, available at Michaels stores.

DSC_8488.jpg

I gotta admit, my first though upon seeing the cover of this stack was "what am I going to scrap with this?" The papers themselves are great, especially if you're looking for a back to school theme (I love that crayon motif!), but I don't have kids and very few of my own school photos are readily available to me (I need to get those negatives scanned!), so I wasn't sure exactly what layout subjects I'd use it for.

And then I started flipping through the stack and really looking at it, and totally geeked out (that's a good thing, if you're new around here :) ) over prints like this constellation pattern. This paper and so many others in the stack are non-themed and have great colors and patterns, and I started thinking that maybe I could make something non-school-related work.

DSC_8489.jpg

There are also plenty of school-themed papers in the stack, of course, like this fantastic collection of journaling cards styled after report cards, library cards, note cards, and well, almost any type of school-related card you can imagine.

DSC_8490.jpg

This fun print has glossy accents overlaying the school supply pattern. There are also touches of glitter on several of the pages, as well.

DSC_8491.jpg

So I started my layout by selecting that great constellation pattern as my background paper and picked a few non-themed sheets from the stack to get going, and what do you think I ended up scrapping about?

School- haha!!

But not in the way you might think...you see, I was flipping through my photo binder, looking for potentially geeky photos to scrap (I was thinking Stormtroopers and the like), when I came across these photos of Darren that I just happened to snap on my iPhone while he was working in the lab at the university one Saturday. Yes, a Saturday. Apparently a graduate student's research work is 24/7, and on this particular day we dropped by to check on an experiment after going out to lunch. So, whether your school photos are of your kindergartener's first day of school or your husband's biology experiments, the Edumacation Stack will work equally well!

DSC_9484.jpg

DSC_8506.jpg

DSC_8505.jpg

DSC_8504.jpg

Some of my favorite layouts have come from working with supplies like this that are a little out of my box, and I have to admit that I enjoy the challenge of making things work for me- especially when I love the results so much!

Thank you to DCWV for giving me the opportunity to work with these fun papers!


Supplies (click on images for product links):



CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan