pretty little studio christmas ornaments

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I've mentioned before that I'm not much of an off-the-page scrapper- layouts are more my thing, and it's very rare that I'm inspired to work on a more dimensional product. This Christmas, though, I've caught the ornament-making bug, and I pulled out some glitter and die cuts to make a set a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit- this project was more inspired by the fact that I wanted to play with glitter than anything else, but when I got my new box of Christmas at Home goodies from Pretty Little Studio in the mail and spotted the new vintage die cuts in the collection, I knew I could combine sparkle and vintage to make some fun ornaments.

DSC_3034.jpg

I started by coating the bottom portion of some plain glass ornaments from Michaels with a thick white glue (any adhesive that bonds to both glass and glitter will work here as long as it doesn't run- you don't want it dripping off the bottom while the ornaments are drying). I kept my glue line messy and uneven on purpose- I wanted it to look a bit like hills covered in snow.

After coating with glue, I sprinkled glitter over my ornaments and then hung them to dry (and though you can only see one side of the ornament in my photos, I did coat them all the way around and on the bottoms, too).

DSC_3035.jpg

While the glue was drying, I turned to my Pretty Little Studio die cuts and selected three that I wanted to use, along with some star shaped journaling tags and few other smaller bits from both the Christmas at Home collection and the older Jingle Bells line.

DSC_3036.jpg

I grouped the die cuts into clusters, then adhered them with dimensional adhesive to give a bit of space between the layers.

DSC_3037.jpg

After the glue dried on the ornaments, I used a soft, dry brush to remove the excess flakes before attaching the die cut clusters to them. At first I was just going to hang the clusters from the tops of the ornaments with baker's twine, but I found that a couple of strategically placed foam dots on each ornament helped secure the cluster exactly where I wanted it to hang.

DSC_3247.jpg

DSC_3239.jpg

DSC_3244.jpg

And now I have an ornament to hang on my tree, and the other two have been given to my parents and my brother for their own decorations.

If you wanted to skip the glue and glitter mess with these, you could just as easily paint the bottom of some clear ornaments, or you might even have some pre-painted plain ornaments in your Christmas collection already- this is a great way to dress them up!


Supplies (click on images for product links):




CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan